Linen sundress in iridescent sequin (SU15, C7916, $178) runs 000-16. The color is called ivory. 63% linen, 37% cotton exclusive of decoration, 100% cotton lining.
Size 6 – This fit tts. A nice feature is that the dress has bra keeps. You’ll be able to snap your bra straps to the dress. They could’ve cheapened out and left those off, given the width of the straps. It’s nice that they’re in there to keep your bra from sliding past the dress straps.
This v is just a tad low to me. Another fit factor is chest shape and size. If you’re not as conservative in the chest area as I am, it won’t seem that low. I didn’t feel totally uncomfortable, but it’s just lower than I usually wear. It has sequins, so you’re most like going to wear this to an event, as opposed to a wearing it as a day-around-town dress. I thought it would make an excellent work related event evening dress. It doesn’t feel too-too dressy, but there’s but there’s sparkle. It’s not tight. However, that v-neck. You don’t want to be the talk of the office on Monday, or regretting all of the pictures taken of you and posted online with your chest exposed. Those thoughts would cross my mind in advance.
Because my work is filmed, and sometimes photographed as well, I always think of how something will look when I’m in it on-camera or how it will look in a still shot. With social media in play, it’s a good thing to consider “in real life.”
For sizing info, I’m 5’0″, 34DD and hip was 39″ last time I measured. Maaaybe 38.5″ but I didn’t lose that much weight when I was sick. The back has a keyhole button that I couldn’t fasten. See how the back is fully covered? That and the wider straps are what made me think about it being a possibility for a dress work function.
The overall effect of the sequins is lavender and purple. There’s a hint of blue-green to them. Almost mermaid like. That sounds better than fish scales. lol
Interestingly, there’s a brown tone to the sequins when you’re up close on them, which is why they paired the iridescent sequin pants ($148) with the Lena leather heels slides (now $159.99) in the stock photo. I’m not convinced the shoes go with the sequins, but I get the paring now that I’ve seen the pants irl.
* Boy shirt in geo brushstroke ($98) – Instapic – The fabrics for SU15 have a theme. Summery, yet substantial. There’s opacity to this due to the print and the color. However, the fabric itself has a little weight. I expected it to be a cotton voile and it’s not. The 4 fit fine. I”m usually a 6, so I tried that, too. There wasn’t much difference. I would go with the 6 just to feel free to toss it in the dryer without babysitting it. The print isn’t a personal like for me, but… Thumbsup.
* Drawstring linen short ($45) – I’m not sure if these are a new release or from last month. They are the perfect casual feeling, yet polished looking shorts. Think the boardwalk short, but with an unmistakably polished look to them. I love them in white, size S. TTS for me. Thumbsup.
* Linen-cotton v-neck jumpsuit in zigzag ($109.99) – Instareview
* Metallic-striped ikat popover shirt ($89.50) – Instareview
* Notched shell in embellished Polynesian floral ($118) – It has a short, silver backzip. Tall ladies, the cut is on the cropped side. Size 6 fit well, so tts for me. I like the bib stitching. It adds interest and makes the lack of princess seams not so bad. A personal like. Thumbsup.
* Tulip faux-wrap skirt in indigo ikat ($118) – Instapic – This is from the last rollout. As much as I love this print, the tone of the blue does nothing for it. It’s not particularly vibrant, rich or deep. I really, really wanted to Tulip faux-wrap skirt in indigo Ikat ($ see this and am glad I got it out of my system. When I began opening it, the material felt so thin. I started the F21 test in my mind and I could totally envision trying it on for about $29.80 in the store. Granted, I’m sure J. Crew’s textile mastery (or those they outsource to) is head and shoulders about Forever 21. However, the weight of the fabric asked me to think otherwise. I tried the 8P. I put it on incorrectly, because like the Ikat wrap dress (review), it’s a faux wrap. It zips on the right-hand side. From the front, you can’t tell it’s a wrap skirt, so the bow tie sort of just sits there. It didn’t enamor me, like most bows. Also, it folds into a bow tie (length); not enough material for a big, poofy bow. If you step to the right, the tulip hem makes its appearance. However, if you step your feet apart just a little wider, the left thigh is exposed. And exposed. Which made me think of a sarong. You can get more coverage with a sarong in the right size. Thumbsdown.
* Linen sundress in iridescent sequin ($178) – This fit TTS. It’s sleeveless, but still covers the back and the front, so it’s fairly conservative. However, J. Crew is consistent about that v-neck. It’s a tad low to me. I guess no one that tries things on has cleavage. Some women like to show décolletage. If the event is too conservative then this dress might not work. I thought of the Jaipur print when I tried this on; see Dina’s blog (2010). I believe I rated this dress a Thumbsup.
* Seaside pant in iridescent sequin ($148) – The price seems low for these. I guess they want them to move. They probably don’t have the hand-applique claim that other J. Crew sequin products have had. Can you live with machine stitched sequins? I can. I tried a size 4 and they fit well. However, as I tried on a couple different tops with them, the pants began to sag. They should’ve put a drawstring in the waist to keep them up. I think if your rear is more flat, you might not have roundness tugging the pants down. I’m guessing. The pants were sagging in the butt and crotch with me just moving in them in the fitting room. I tried a 2 and they fit exactly. Just a bit tight in the thigh. I asked my VPS if they looked too tight as-is and she said no. She’s very candid. I know they would loosen up, so 2 is best. I sometimes take a 4 in this style of pant; the loose, summer styles. I usually take 6 in most J. Crew items. So you’ll probably need to size down once, if not twice in these. Thumbsup.
DAYONE gets 40% off tees, shorts & sandals for all, 30% off sale items and 50% off final sale items on Monday, 6/22 only.