I wish! When I shared the September catalog, I had very favorable feelings about this rollout. It hasn’t disappointed irl. Sure, there are some things that I didn’t expect to like that won me over when I tried them on. There are things I thought I wanted, but have now tried & crossed off my wishlist. My $1800 wishlist, that is. It’s easy to get the tally up, though, with $358 calf hair Martinas.
I’ve tried on a good number of items that were released. Without enough time to get thru the 200+ photos I’ve taken, before FALLSTYLE ends tonite, welcome to the wall of text:
ETA: I’ve reviewed some of these and added the link.
* Grande crystal drops statement necklace ($198) – I saw a woman buy it in-store. She was wearing a Tory Burch type tunic, shorts and sandals and it looked great on her casual outfit. She also had full long hair that looked good with it. Quite the spread of jewels. It cascades out over the chest. I’ve tried it on and the look was too much for me. Even if I had liked it on me, I know it didn’t look right on me.
* $358 calf hair Martinas ($135) – I can dream of a sale. I love the Martina shoe very much and would love to add these to the collection. We’ll see what happens.
- Biba calf hair wedge – Calf hair doesn’t extend tot he heel. Pass for me.
- Ivanka Trump Linea ($150) – A very worthy option. Ivanka Trump’s shoes are very, very comfortable. The only thing holding me back is how the shoe is how the calf hair is wrapped around the entire shoe. I like to see the line between heel and sole.
* Long colorblock field jacket ($198) – Thumbs up. Size down one, imo. The XS was a good fit, but still too overwhelming for my frame. Petite proportions would be perfect. I would probaly pick PS. I’m in a mild climate, so I don’t need to do a ton of layering. I would probably wear a Tippi & buttondown under, but I don’t own many thick thick sweaters to be worried about that sort of fit. The fabric. It’s like a very heavy painting canvas. The type professional painters use on jobs. I don’t sail or anything, so maybe there are comparisons to that sort of fabric. In the words of Oprah, what I know for sure is that it felt like it would stop a bold gust of wind. The jacket felt a little noisy when putting on, given the coated texture of the fabric, but the sound didn’t bother me. Ugh. I just noticed it comes in petites. I may have to stalk this one. Wishlist for sale – Irl pics
* Contrast knit blazer ($198) – Thumbs up. Whoah on the price. I didn’t know it was that high. I assumed it was $148 – $168. They must remember how well the camel/black one did last year. Or maybe that one started off at the same high price. I liked this one. I don’t know about the longevity of the trend. The construction is there, though. I don’t recall if it’s lined or not. It may just be sewn with lining panels at the inside seams — like the interior of the maritime blazer. I tried a 4 and it fit well. However, I tried it on over the horsing around sweatshirt ($65) so it was a little bulky. I wear 4, 6 or 6P in J Crew blazers. The ideal size for me would be 6P, but I’d go for the 4. I’m trying to get away from things that don’t quite fit right without alterations because I rarely commit to following thru. So I’m going to try to pass on this altogether.
ETA: Last year’s contrast knit blazer started at $198 as well.
ETA: Marked down to $129.99 online on 9/11
* Excursion quilted vest in camo ($138) – Why? There’s a huge poster in my b&m of a beautiful model rocking it with a chambray shirt, Andie chinos and metallic heels. But it’s still a big no. It doesn’t translate irl, imo and I feel really strongly about that. If you love it, do it.
* Excursion quilted vest in stripe ($138) – Thumbs up. However, they messed with the fit. It’s got the too big under the arms issue. Size S fit well, but too large under the arms. It poked forward on the sides. Boo. I could get the XS zipped up and that felt like the right fit. I usually wear it over lighter layers, not nesc over very thick sweaters so I’m going to size down one if I’m able to get this on a good sale – Irl pics – Check out the Crewcuts version ($118).
* Schoolboy blazer in English tweed ($238) – Thumbs up. A classic. If you love grey & love plaid, it’s the perfect combo. TTS
* Crepe cap-sleeve dress ($188) – Dare I say it? What an awesome dress. I’ve tried it on twice now and it looked and felt great. Couldn’t zipe the 6. Recently tried on the 8 and that’s the size I would get. I would also have to commit to altering the shoulders, pulling it up for less material in the chest and shortening the skirt. Which is good news if you’re taller. This dress isn’t a mini! Thumbs up – Irl pics
* Collection mini jade foulard ($138) – Thumbs up. TTS. Beautiful fabric. Consider sizing up one if you want to wear it lower on the waist and try to gain a little more length.
* Collection salmon mini in ribbon candy stripe ($168) – Thumbs up. Same as above. Great fabric, TTS, but consider sizing up one to gain a little length. If I could only get one of the two, I’d get the foulard mini.
* No. 2 pencil skirt in tipped double-serge wool ($138) – Thumbs up. Really, really nice. It felt good on. I tried size 6. It fit well. It was TTS for me, but depending on your figure, you might need to size down one. I would go for 8P at this point in time. It’s a repeat of a past release. I think the one released in 2009 or so was shorter – Irl pics
* Scallop-trim mini ($98) – Thumbs up. Short as the other minis we’ve seen. If you can rock it, go for it. I like the scallop detail on the front. I would go up one to a size 8 if I got it. I tried navy – Irl pics
* Tie-waist tweed mini ($98) – Thumbs up. I’m not into minis, just tried it on. It was really cute. I you like tights & boots, this is a perfect skirt for that look. Would/will go up one to a size 8. Wishlist for sale.
* Matte crepe drawstring pant ($138) – Thumbs up. Polyester. I cringed when I saw the fabric tag. The cut is right up my alley, though. I like slouchy, baggy pants. The size 6 fit well, but the rise felt a little long. I’d want to try a 4 to be sure. I’m inclined to say consider sizing down one.
Size 4 – waist = 30 – 38.75″, hip = 39.75″, rise = 9.75″
Size 6 – waist = 31 – 39.75″, hip = 40.75″, rise = 10″
inseam 26″ for all sizes
Size 6P – waist = 29 – 37.75″, hip = 38.75″, rise = 9.5″
Size 8P – waist = 30 – 38.75″, hip = 39.75″, rise = 9.75″
inseam 24″ for all sizes
* Pixie pant ($98) – Thumbs up. TTS. I’ve never tried these, simply for fear of being majorly depressed afterwards. What a great pair of pants. Cover thine bootay, but other than that, I like them.
* Pixie jodhpur pant ($168) – Crossies for a thumbs up when I receive it. These are also ones w/the leather. They weren’t in-store to try. I ordered size 6, based on trying other pixies. ETA 9/7: I recvd them and they’re a love so far. Size 6 is good. Just not sure about the cost of dry cleaning. It’s definitely making me think twice about keeping them – Irl pics -That’s one of the main reasons I returned the merino sweaer w/leather pockets. Check out the Crewcuts pixie jodhpur pant ($68). I ended up getting the Target Mossimo quilted side ponte pants ($19.99).
* Wool racing-stripe track pant ($148) – Side thumb. What a weird pair of pants. They’re a tighter fitting track pant, but wool. If they would’ve made them slouchy, it would’ve worked and been really cool. The tighter fit doesn’t favor the wool, imo. Maybe if you’re thin, they won’t grab as much and will look just fine. I tried size 6. TTS – Irl pics
* Collection cashmere diamond sweater ($238) – 1 o’clock thumb. This wasn’t on my wishlist. Just tried it on out of curiosity. TTS. The black snow grey is nice. The lines of the pattern are a little fuzzy. That’s probably because of the yarn. lol No wishlist for me. More cashmere to care for and worry about is of no interest. It’s very soft and thick, though. It might be hard to resist for some of you.
* Collection leather-front merino cardigan ($228) – Thumbs up. I liked the fit and feel of it. But all that leather. It just didn’t make sense to me. I prefer the little leather tees and the leather patch pocket more than this leather down the front. Off the wishlist as it doesn’t make sense for me, but yes, still a thumb up. I don’t have a pic of the tag to share if I tried XS or S. I think I tried S.
* Drapey raglan sweatshirt ($59.50) – Thumbs up. TTS. J Crew has improved on the sweatshirt. This one is longer and leaner than some of the more recent ones. Some were too loose in the chest, others were too tight. This one is just right. I’m getting more than full up on sweatshirts, so wishlist for sale Irl pics
* Horsing around sweatshirt ($65) – Thumbs up. TTS. Surprise love. I have at least 5 unworn novelty sweaters, so I didn’t even want to try this one. However, I’m really into sweatshirts this year. The feel of the fabric, the fit, scale of the horses and placement were all perfect. I went over on my pre-picked number items and added this to the small bunch. At first I could not decide on navy or the heather grey. I have 3-4 navy sweatshirts from J Crew. The jeweled one, lace-front, traveler’s (country names) and at least one or two more. I decided on navy anyway because I thought the grey would look more sweatshirt-y than necessary.
* Merino leather pocket sweater ($158) – Thumbs up. Surprise purchase for me. I opted for this over the excursion quilted vest in stripe, and I’m stripesick! ETA 9/7 – I ended up returning this. It wasn’t a must have w/the thought of dry cleaning costs. – Irl pics
* Painted jewels sweatshirt ($118) -Thumbs up. They’ve improved on last year’s jeweled sweatshirt. This one is longer and leaner. Wishlist for sale even though I already have last year’s grey & navy. TTS. Size S fit well – Irl pics
* Tweed-front merino sweater in black ($110) – Thumbs up. It’s boxy. Size down one. It is a shorter style, so that might be a problem w/a long torso. Wishlist for sale.
* Tweed-front merino sweater in graphite ($110) – Thumbs up. Same as above. I’d take either this one or the black. Wishlist for sale.
* Acropolis blue plaid flannel shirt ($88) – Thumbs up. Just when you think you have enough plaid shirts, J Crew does it again. There’s a purple color running thru the pattern that gives it a little zing. The fabric is very soft. Wishlist – Irl pics
* Boy shirt in embroidered polka dot ($88) – Thumbs up. That said, if you already have any of the fine dot buttondowns, you may not need this. Of course if you want justification, this particular shade of blue creates a refined backdrop for the fine dots. It has a very professional look, compared to some of the previous styles that had a more casual look. TTS. Size 6 fit well. Currently on promo for $68.
* Drapey crepe henley tunic ($98) – A big thumbs up. If you can wear bright cerise, do it. The shade is a stunner. The others are solid classics. You can’t lose. Take the smaller of your 2 sizes. If you have a larger chest than I do, you will be fine to take your larger size. I’m a 36C. I liked how the 4 fit closer to my body. The size 6 fit fine as well, with some slouch on it. So whichever size I can get on sale, I’ll take.
* Drapey sailor tee ($49.50) – Thumbs down. These thinner tees just aren’t my friends. I prefer and need a more substantial weight. It’s rayon/linen/wool and seems like it would grow when you wear it. The fabric blend also makes the lines of the stripes look a little fuzzy and the fabric potentially pill prone. The shoulder is a drop shoulder. Whoever thought that looked good? There so many stripe options, this is an easy pass for me.
* Silk boy blouse with contrast trim ($118) – Thumbs up. Wishlist for even more of a sale than the current $98 promo + 25%. Would get it now if I thought I’d wear it immediately. I can wait – Irl pics
* Scalloped cut-out silk top ($110) – Side thumb. Thin. I didn’t like the puff at the shoulder. The scallop detail is something different, but didn’t wow me. Some will like it. I didn’t. TTS. My usual size 6 fit well.
* Silk boy blouse in tossed hearts ($135) – Thumbs up. I had no interest in this as I already have enough unworn silk – Irl pics – Check out this smAcKdoWn at WHBM: silk geo print camp shirt. It’s a triangle or diamond print, but has a similar visual effect.
* Silk keyhole top ($88) – Thumbs up. I like the keyhole. I absolutely don’t like fabric covered buttons. It’s extremely difficult to button them at the back of the neck, too. #aintnobodygottimeforthat – Irl pics
I intended to buy the grey schoolboy, jodhpur pixies and striped excursion vest. I ended up with the grey schoolboy, jodhpur pixies, leather pocke merino sweater and horse sweatshirt.
What are your impressions about the rollout, if you’ve tried any of the items? Better than the catalog? Not as good?
Did you shop the FALLSTYLE?
Regular Price – Irl Pic Guide (Aug 2013)
25% off $150+ in-store 8/19 – 8/26
25% off $150+ with FALLSTYLE 8/20 – 8/26
leather excluded online